Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 09:32 -0400, JP Rosevear wrote:
> > Since applications
> > that are included in the core GNOME desktop are known to be well-
> > maintained, widely-translated, and released on a regular schedule, it
> > can certainly be more desirable for a distro to include a core GNOME
> > app than an alternative, especially if it's one for which their users
> > are paying for support.
>
> They are known to be somewhat well maintained but the quality varies
> widely in practice.

True, and I'd certainly expect that to be a factor in any distro's
decision too.  If a poor-quality, well-maintained product doesn't
measurably improve over time, though, it should probably be dropped from
the GNOME desktop release anyway, if there's a better alternative.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group