Re: focus! (was Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al)

Hi,

Nigel Tao wrote:
> I remember that, some handfuls of months ago, Jeff Waugh [1] proposed
> a Power User Tools suite outside of the traditional Platform /
> Bindings / Desktop (/ Admin).  IIRC he was musing about things like
> Brightside and Devil's Pie, but one option might be to spin out
> Tomboy, Deskbar, and suchlike into that.

So, my employer has thoughtfully (and unknowingly) donated an hour of my
time to this: http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseSets - it includes the power
users set suggested above.

This is a rough, initial proposal of what the new release sets might
look like.

The "initial contents" will obviously need buy-in from the various
developers - most of the packages have never been proposed for inclusion
in the GNOME desktop release - and some of them are probably too early
in their development to be considered right now (I'm thinking of
Thoggen, for example), but it resembles what I think we should be doing.

Additions, improvements, criticisms and praise all welcome. Opinions
whether this is more suitable for 2.16 or 2.18 also. I think we should
do a first go at this, perhaps with a stripped down module list, for
2.16. We have more freedom with the release sets than with the core release.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary