Re: Mono/GTK#/Tomboy

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 17:19 -0400, Ben Maurer wrote:
[snip]
> Given the lateness in the release cycle, it would seem reckless to
> *remove* sticky notes.
[snip]

Yes, hence I don't think Tomboy can go in, regardless of anything else.

>  What about accepting Mono and Tomboy for this
> release cycle and keeping sticky notes. Then, for the next release cycle,
> there is the confidence that a silly flamewar on d-d-l won't keep the
> applications out of GNOME, encouraging the authors do meet GNOME's needs.
[snip]

Peoples' concerns are not silly (or FUD as Miguel called them).

I'd understand if Mono's supporters acknowledged the problems and risks
but said that they didn't think they were significant, and that they are
prepared to take the risk. Then we could just disagree about priorities.
but I'm scared at the idea of just pretending that everything is OK.

I'm way past my quota of repeating myself, and deep in rant land, but
this is what happened with Bonobo. Developers knew it wasn't ready, knew
it wasn't suitable for such deep use, and knew there was a risk to
making it central to GNOME. It was pushed through anyway, and that was
allowed in order to avoid a split among the developers. But I hope that
our community is stronger now.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com