Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Iain * wrote:

> They already can.
> Don't like mono...don't ship mono applications.
> None of the libraries will depend or use mono.

But applications could. Including mono as a blessed platform could, as a
side effect, allow current apps to allow parts written in C#, like some
already do with python (epiphany, gedit, nautilus, etc). Good practice
would say it should remain optional dependencies, but eh, we're not in a
perfect world.

Note that I'm perfectly fine with that, as long as it remains a unique
common managed platform, be it python or mono. I 100% agree with
thomasvs on that point: more (loading two VM for a unique app) would be
too much.

I think mono would even make more people happy since it provides more
languages for free (that's what I've heard). But it might be too late to
make a step backward and change our platform (unless mono supports
python, which would bring the best of both world).

I'm a great fan of python plugins for everyone, as long as it stay in
apps you run when you need it, and not all the time. I just don't want
to see my memory eroded by applets or daemons replacing old ones in a
smarter but more expensive way.