Re: Mono/GTK#/Tomboy

Murray Cumming wrote:

> Also, Tomboy is an applet, intended to replace the commonly-used sticky
> notes applet, so it's likely to take up memory all the time. (I haven't
> had a response to my notes->tomboy transistion questions [1] but that's a
> non-mono issue.)
>
> deskbar-applet has the same problem, of course. When we approved python I
> don't think we necessarily approved this particular use. That was a
> separate thing.

I'm glad you summarized my concerns so well :-)

> I am at least glad that we have at least have a consensus that Mono will
> never be used in the GNOME Platform, but as the Desktop becomes more
> integrated, it will still be difficult to remove parts of it if necessary.

That's why we have to think about it twice. Many Gnome apps written in
mono are already around (as well as apps written in Ruby and such), but
does it mean we have to bless them already? It looks like many people
here still have to be convinced that mono is as good as some people say.