Re: On breaking the woohoo barrier...thoughts on how GNOME can get great

> <quote who="Iain *">
>
>> Kathy's talk on passionate users, Apple's "Mac vs PC" adverts and their
>> success with making things cool have shown us that people don't care
>> about
>> what a computer can do, but what they can do with a computer (there may
>> be
>> more of a difference in my mind, I'm just lacking a good way of
>> explaining
>> it). The whole idea that "Here's some cool stuff you can do" rather than
>> "this computer can do these 1000 features."
>
> This is the distinction between "features" and "benefits". Apple have
> always
> been good about communicating *benefits* first, features second.
[snip]

Should anyone ever get around to creating some GNOME personas [1] then, in
the lingo of personas, they'd have life "goals", and these goals would be
achieved through tasks. I think goals == benefits, and features maybe ==
tasks.

We really need to get around to this.

[1] No, I haven't either.

murrayc murrayc com