Re: On breaking the woohoo barrier...thoughts on how GNOME can get great

Iain wrote:
> Kathy's talk on passionate users, Apple's "Mac vs PC" adverts and
> their success with making things cool have shown us that people don't
> care about what a computer can do, but what they can do with a
> computer (there may be more of a difference in my mind, I'm just
> lacking a good way of explaining it).

Nowadays, I look for a simple and intuitive way to solve a problem.
I don't care what application I use. I don't care what platform I use.
I'll happily flit from Mac OS X to Windows to Linux to Solaris.

Perhaps a good way to look at this is look at some of the list of
problems that users want to solve at:

 http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-freeware-utilities/index.html

and see how well we do them with applications on the GNOME desktop.

Some (like the virus software for example) don't make sense on a Linux
or Solaris platform, but there are a lot of others that do.