Re: Performance (was Re: control-center 2.13.90 released)

Jan de Groot wrote:
On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 15:31 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
It'd be interesting if you could try changing your theme (I assume you are using Clearlooks) to Glider and seeing what difference that makes. The Glider theme uses the Smooth engine, which is not currently using cairo. Clearlooks on the other hand, is now using cairo almost exclusively. If there is a significant difference in speed then we may need to look at holding back cairo enabled gtk-engines in GNOME, at least until significant speed improvements are made to cairo.

-Thomas

I switched back from Clearlooks cairo version to the Mist theme:
everything is nice and fast now. With cairo-clearlooks, clicking a
cleared number in gnome-mines, I could follow the bombsquad clearing the
field of known not-mine squares. With Mist, these fields get uncovered
instantly.

Actually, Mist is already using cairo, so your test only shows that Mist is a faster theme than Clearlooks. This was hopefully already known, since Mist is a lot simpler than Clearlooks. One of the biggest problems for Clearlooks in terms of speed, is it's use of gradients, and that has always been an issue whether it has used GDK or cairo. To get a definitive answer, we need people to test is the difference between using Clearlooks with cairo (gtk-engines 2.7.x) and with GDK (gtk-engines 2.6.x).

-Thomas