Re: Trying to reach consensus for the proposed modules

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 23:00 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

I will leave out dependency libraries from my thoughts, support of an
application is support of the dependencies.

>  + atomix: I don't remember seeing much discussion for this one. What do
> people think? Is Callum here? What do you think?

This game seems to go a little bit beyond many of the games that ship
with GNOME (which are all quite traditional). With the advent of GNOME
files and similar projects, good 3rd party applications bubble up to the
top of the list, but don't need to be included with the desktop. I do
not think we should include this.

>  + deskbar-applet: most people were okay, some people thought it was
> eating too much memory. I'd say consensus was "accept", but there's the
> issue that it depends on gnome-python-extras, which is not in the
> bindings. What should be done here?

This is incredibly cool and powerful. I think we should use it to
replace mini-commander. If this is included, I will disable the default
mini-commander Bonobo server file to run deskbar-applet instead.

>  + fast-user-switch-applet: I think people were okay with it. It'd be
> nice to integrate it in the panel, but I'm not sure it will happen
> because of lack of time (flame me).

It would have been nice to integrate this with the panel. However,
having both the panel-menu list and the applet would be nice. Let's
include this.

>  + gnome-power-manager: I don't remember much discussion. What do you
> think? Is it well-tested?

Perhaps we should let vendors make the choice, until the choices become
clear. I don't think any other module has a hard dependence on this at
the moment.

>  + gnome-screensaver: people want this. I'd say we should go with it and
> I believe it's the general consensus, but maybe some people think it's
> not ready yet?

I haven't tried this recently, but perhaps we should again let vendors
make the choice?

>  + pessulus: some positive feedback. Maybe create an admin suite for it
> and sabayon? I'm not sure it's appropriate outside an admin suite.
>
>  + sabayon: positive feedback. Would be nice in an admin suite too.

+1 admin suite.

>  + nautilus-actions: there were some questions wrt to how it's
> integrated in nautilus. Some people wanted it to be integrated in some
> other way. No consensus, but maybe the issues have been resolved. Anyone
> able to comment?

This seems very much like a power toy. People who want it can always
install it.

>  + libnotify & notify-daemon: I don't remember seeing it clearly
> proposed on the lists, but when I asked John (or was it Rodrigo?) on
> IRC, he told me it was :-) Probably needs some discussion first, though.
> Some modules already have optional dependency and can use it.

It's been too long, let's do it.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA