Re: Update from libegg now!

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 04:04:42PM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> >  I think there's a technical way to force the checkout of libegg in all
> >  CVS modules that use it[1], maybe this could be used to force modules
> >  to always use the latest version of libegg from their branch?  This is
> >  similar functionality as svn:externals.
>
> I certainly don't want the whole libegg tree in my modules when I really
> need 3 files. Also, we should really be working on merging this stuff in
> GTK+, it's getting real silly...

Indeed, there is. However, as libegg modules are often API unstable,
the update script allows the developer to compile against a version
with a known API, thus preventing an application from breaking in
the CVS tree every week.

Additionally, Bastien is right, all of the useful parts of libegg
should go upstream (and the rest should die). libegg itself has
proven useful for random things, but we need to make way for the
next generation of small widgets and experimental APIs.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA