gnome-volume-manager behaviour

I began investigating this because I wanted to know if it was possible
to tell gvm to only auto-mount a single partition on my firewire
drive and not all five when I switch it on.  Since then I have observed
the following broken behaviour in the two simplest cases:

Gnome menu -> Desktop -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media
provides three check boxes:

  Mount removable drives when hotplugged
  Mount removable media when inserted
  Browse removable media when inserted

With ALL of these checkboxes UNCHECKED, gnome-volume-manager mounts
all the partitions on my firewire drive the *first* time I switch it
on.

With ALL of these checkboxes CHECKED, gnome-volume-manager will ONLY
mount any of the partitions on my firewire drive the *first* time I
switch it on.

The following errors are reported in my kern.log on every subsequent
switch-on:

  ieee1394: sbp2: Error reconnecting to SBP-2 device - reconnect failed
  ieee1394: sbp2: Logged out of SBP-2 device
  ieee1394: sbp2: Logged into SBP-2 device
  ieee1394: Node 0-00:1023: Max speed [S400] - Max payload [1024]

I'm aware these errors have nothing to do the gvm but they may explain
why gvm appears to be broken in the second simplest case.

Despite these errors, I can still mount, unmount and remount
partitions manaually (using pmount) or using the Gnome Disk Mounter
panel applet without any problems at all.

sdt

P.S. I think the dbus/hald/udevd/gvm hardware conspiracy is fantastic
     by the way. Keep up the good work.