GStreamer 0.8 versus 0.10 (was: Re: requesting official list of modules and versions for GNOME 2.14)

Hi Thomas,

> So, for comparison, I tried doing something on 0.8 that you keep
> claiming works fine: DVD playback.

> I used my 3GHz hyperthreaded home machine - my laptop has a crappy DVD
> drive that can't even play most dvd's I have.

I've tried the same thing on my dual celeron (433Mhz) box at home,
picking 3 DVD's from the pile on my desk. Using 0.8.11 plus Tim's
alsasink fixes, then 0.8.12 with a 0.8.7 ffmpeg installation with a
bunch of backported fixes and an updated ffmpeg core from 10/01/2006.

All the packages come from my local breezy repository on cf.o -- except
Totem, which i'm using the upstream version of.

DVD 1: Spaced, Season II (R2)

+ choosing audio works
- subtitles don't
! during the BBC copyright screen, the visualiser (goom) is shown, after
it moves to the menu, it's fine.
+ the menus work
! A/V desync happens at scene-change, seeking fixes it
! seeking skips the audio, then the video "fast-forwards" for 5-10sec
and catches up.
! episode transition doesn't work, it goes back to the menu.

DVD 2: Shameless, Season I (R4)
- subtitles are on by default and you can't turn them off
- during the ABC logo, I get audio-hiss (alsasink, 2 channel, ISA Sound
Blaster 64-AWE))
- the scrollbar doesn't move during the copyright warning, but
automatically moves to the ABC logo at ~20sec.
+ the menus work
+ seeking works

DVD 3: Dark City (R4)
+ choosing audio works
+ the scrollbar keeps the correct time during the copyright warning
! the menus sort-of-work, you can click the buttons, but the screen goes
black and doesn't display the submenu.
+++++ PERFECT A/V sync, even when my cat decides to walk across the
keyboard triggering multiple fast-forward/rewinds.
+++++ managed to watch the whole movie, in totem, in fullscreen (using
xvimagesink) without an issue.

Now, if you compare those to 0.10. (I know, DVD playback doesn't work)
-- totem coughs up a warning message that says:

"No Reason"

On all three :)

As a developer, I could probably be forgiven for wondering:

* is this because I can't be arsed rebuilding libdvdcss for my
0.10-based box?
* is this because i'm missing the 0.10 plugin for DVD playback (if such
a thing existed as released source)?

However, as a user, "No Reason" isn't really a good thing, is it?

Maybe, (as has been alluded to many times on p.g.o and elsewhere) things
have come to a point where:

* "media player of choice(tm)" needs an error message that correctly
states the problem (Totem cannot play your DVD, DVD Playback has not
been completed yet, please click here (point to GStreamer homepage) for
more information)

or:

* "media player of choice(tm)" needs a button, which detects
distribution-of-choice and goes off looking for a suitable set of
"unofficial" plugins that are unsupported, but actually work.

Otherwise, a distribution like Ubuntu Dapper Drake, with it's proposed
lengthy support period -- might have a bit of a problem attracting home
users, who consider playing their movies/porn/illicitly-gained-audio
more important than the quality of the "backend" they are using.

Don't get me wrong, GStreamer 0.10 from CVS looks, feels and acts a lot
more funkey than 0.8 did -- it even plays some weird formats that many
non-developers have never even heard of -- but it *does* appear to have
less functionality, for 99% of non-technicial users.

Regards,

Paul