Re: requesting official list of modules and versions for GNOME 2.14

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 16:18 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>
> >- for every cvs up of gstreamer, my totem (or any app) still takes >10s
> >to startup with no visual feedback
> >

> This is plugin registration, right?  Is it possible for distributors to
> trigger plugin registration as part of their package post-install
> scripts, or is every user of a system required to go through this after
> installing updates?

When GStreamer 0.10 starts, it recursively scans the directories in your
plugins path for changes. Normally this is just
$prefix/lib/gstreamer-0.10, so just one directory, they're all plugins,
the disk activity isn't too bad. Depending on your machine it might take
a couple seconds to get everything registered. I'd be very surprised if
it took 10 seconds to register an installed GStreamer.

Running from CVS is another question, because then it has to scan a very
deep directory structure. This takes considerably more time. Maybe 4
seconds on my box. This price is only paid by developers working from
their uninstalled copies, though.

There is no way to manually rebuild the registry in 0.10, so no more
post-installation hooks are needed in distro packages.

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo
http://wingolog.org/