Re: Gnome-utils branched to gnome-2-14

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:

> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 20:56:56 +0100
> From: Wouter Bolsterlee <uws+gnome xs4all nl>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Gnome-utils branched to gnome-2-14
>
> På Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:41:16AM -0600, Shaun McCance skrev:
> > On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 10:26 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > > Screenshot
> > > 	* heavy bugzilla love
> > > 	* remove the file name entry and use a filechooser button
> >
> > I don't like this idea.  I mean, arguably, we have a file chooser
> > button for exactly this sort of thing.  But the fact that we have
> > a widget doesn't mean it's the best tool.

I remain baffled how the file chooser button was designed.

Everywhere we have text entries followed by a Browse button but the File
Chooser button looks nothing like this.

Instead of a widget to encapsulate this established idea there is a
"button" which looks confusingly like a drop down menu.

I've never liked how the file chooser button was implemented, and how
significantly it diverged from what is it supposed to be a drop in
replacement.  It is certainly good to have a standard API for this
commonly used feature, perhaps the file chooser widget will be improved
some day and thanks to the standard API applications already using it
would benefit.

> > So are we making this change because we really believe it's
> > better, or are we using widgets for the sake of using them?

I'd prefer if you didn't use the file chooser button but ideally I'd like
to see a better file chooser button.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org