Re: gnome-screensaver

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:53:15AM +0100, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> tir, 07,.02.2006 kl. 12.10 +0800, skrev Davyd Madeley:
> > I see that both Ubuntu Dapper and Fedora Core 5 test 2 are shipping
> > with gnome-screensaver now.
> >
> > Having now used both of them, does it seem slow for anyone else? It
> > seems that something has gone astray once or twice and forced me to
> > have to change vt and kill the process to get my session back.
> >
> I've seen the lock screen dialog taking 20-30 seconds to give me a
> username entry and ended up disabling locking.

That is certainly unacceptable I think.

> > I didn't manage to get anything useful debugging-wise from it, does
> > anyone know the story here?
> >
> > If we have a screensaver that you can't get away from, we should
> > consider not including this module during this release cycle.
> >
> I think there were some problems with fontconfig recently that caused
> slowness in many apps, could this be one of them maybe?
>
> AFAIK it has been fixed in the latest updates.

Don't seem to be having problems with other applications (in fact
many things are quite snappy, large Cairo-exposes excluded of
course). I've also noticed this on Dapper, which did not have
fontconfig issues that I noticed.

These issues should be addressed before we consider including this
as a blessed Desktop module.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA