Alt Mouse Modifier (Was: Adaptive mode)

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:36 +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On 7 Feb, 2006, at 5:10 AM, karderio wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 21:42 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> >>
> >> If it is possible what you suggest, then that would make it easier to
> >> "rubberband"-select items in the list view, like you can in the icon
> >> view. Dragging the mouse over columns other than icon/filename would
> >> not affect the item under the mouse cursor directly, but rather
> >> affect the selection.
> >
> > "Rubberbanding" in the list view would be handy, how about activating
> > "rubberbanding" if the shift key is held down (presuming that key is
> > not in use) ?
>
> As you can see by trying it, Shift is already used for contiguous
> selection, Ctrl is used for non-contiguous selection, and Alt is
> (unfortunately) used to move the window. But a modifier key wouldn't be
> necessary if the behavior described above was implemented.

Just a me-too on how unfortunate the Alt modifier
thing for window moving is.  I know of at least
one major piece of third-party software that uses
Alt as a modifier for certain mouse operations,
and it's been doing so since long before Gnome
stole it for window movement.

I always switch it to Super, but I never use it.
There doesn't seem to be a "just turn this off,
please" check box.

--
Shaun