Re: GNOME subversion migration

27 dec 2006 kl. 13.50 skrev Carlos Garcia Campos:

El mar, 26-12-2006 a las 22:12 +0100, Kjartan Maraas escribió:
tir, 26.12.2006 kl. 17.24 +0100, skrev Mikael Hallendal:
18 dec 2006 kl. 13.35 skrev Ross Golder:

Hi Ross,

Is there a way to submit modules that you don't want in the move? I
have a module called 'loudmouth' that I will move to git as the old
CVS repository renders obsolete.

Maybe we should consider setting up a formal git infrastructure so that
projects that want to use git will have a way to distribute their
repositories in a more standard way across GNOME?

I'm only worried about one thing, is it possible to migrate from CVS to
git (or any other distributed system) without losing the history?

Yes, git (and I believe the others) can import from CVS without loosing history.

Now, since I believe my request to not move Loudmouth to Subversion was the cause of this discussion. Let's make it clear, we are not considering to not make the move to Subversion. It was a request for a single module that isn't part of the GNOME stack but was hosted in GNOME CVS due to Gossips dependency on it.

As I said when we had this discussion the last time (and when the decision to move to SVN was made) is that making a move to Subversion makes a lot of sense. It will give you what you have already with some extra features that developers have requested for ages. This without having to learn anything other than to switch "cvs" to "svn" when you type.

The discussion about whether we want to make it possible to use something else than SVN for core modules can be discussed later. For now, making the move to SVN is a low risk solution that will make the current situation better without making it impossible to move again in the future.

Finally, kudos to the sysadmin team that is working on this!

Best Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com