Re: Replacing control center menus

Jonathan Blandford wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 15:26 +0100, �ienne Bersac wrote:
A menu longer that 10 entry is very painful. Often, Gnome properties
menu is about 20 entry when you install some additionnal softwares.
Gnome is the only desktop which keep using this outdated
"control-center". A control center is far more usable and accessible
(especially if it provide search).

This also could mean that we have too many capplets.

Every single time we have this discussion, someone points out that we have too many capplets. Despite some good efforts at annihilating and assimilating various silly ones, there are still too many for a usable menu. In the real world, outside of Pure GNOME, distributor and 3rd-party (Java springs to mind) added capplets make the menu more unusable.

Given that a) GNOME still has too many capplets, and b) there are additional ones that will always be added to the menu, I think making access to them as usable as possible is a laudable goal.

Reducing the number of capplets is still a laudable goal, but hasn't solved this problem in the past.

--
Andrew