Re: Clarius

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 18:42 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 10:01 +1200, Glynn Foster wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Shaun McCance wrote:
> > > I'm going to coin a new term: key churn.  This is when people
> > > make frivolous and unnecessary changes to GConf keys or their
> > > default values.  It sucks for large deployments.  Gnome is
> > > bigger than your personal desktop.
> >
> > I don't really care too much about the name change, but what I do
> care about is
> > the migration story between themes as new engines/icons/whatever are
> dropped in
> > and out. This stuff isn't as smooth as it should be - hopefully
> Calum can
> > provide details of what currently happens [we documented this for an
> ARC case
> > recently].
>
> It seems to go something like this (at least on the 2.15 machine I was
> using to experiment with it):

[snip]

> 2. If a theme's index.theme file remains after an upgrade, but one or
> more of its three components are no longer installed, on opening the
> theme capplet your theme is shown as selected, as if nothing was
> wrong.
> When you drill down into the details dialog, though, the behaviour is
> the same as case 1... the 'phantom' theme components are shown as
> selected, until you select an alternative instead, at which point they
> disappear.

This is the relevant point.  The Clearlooks gtkrc file will no longer
be available (assuming you've done a clean install, or updated using
a package manager that removes old files).

I'm less concerned about the theme manager's behavior than I am about
how your desktop will appear.  If there's no gtkrc file, GTK+ has no
choice but to fall back to its boxy default.

--
Shaun