Re: RFC GnomeGoal #3

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 11:18 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 12:00 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
>
> > libgconf-bridge doesn't handle per-machine state yet, but it will handle
> > multiple windows just fine: you give it a gconf path prefix to persist
> > the states at, so for different windows the program can generate
> > different prefixes.
>
> Interesting!  Great to have working code.  Can you please add a link to
> it to the wiki?
>
> 	http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/SaveState
>
> I've added an important requirement:  we need to be able to purge old
> keys when they are no longer needed.  We need apps to be able to say, "I
> no longer care about this window's state; please erase whatever you may
> have put into GConf".

IMHO, it could be better the opposite approach: "I do care only about
these group of keys, please GConf/Whatever delete everything else in my
application keys".

The rationale is I don't know which keys were deprecated 'n' versions
ago I don't know how polluted could be the user preferences between each
upgrade/install/deinstall. But, I do know what are the active current
keys and the previous versiones (which I'm deprecating with the new
version).

--
Germán Poó-Caamaño
http://www.ubiobio.cl/~gpoo/