Re: Gnome 2 infinity and beyond [was Re: Tango and 2.16]

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Kalle Vahlman wrote:

[...]

>> old API compatibility.  If we change the GNOME version to 3.0 but don't
>> break the API it is going to be very confusing for developers.

My point was that it would be less confusing if the deprecated (but
still supported for back compatibility) APIs were seperated from the
better recommended APIs which the Gnome developers would prefer third
party developers to use.  (I refer you back to the comments made by Behdad
Esfahbod.)

> Hey, don't forget the applications. GNOME is more than just an API. You
> guys make it sound like three-point-oh would be all about the platform
> things.

I'm trying to provide a solid reason why it might be a good idea
to increase the version number for more reasons than marketing
alone (which is not to say that marketing isn't a good reason too but
developers apprecaite more substance).

> GNOME still lacks ...

There is no shortage of ideas which could be used to continue on with the
Gnome 2.x line indefinately.  It is much harder to fix a time on when
Gnome 3.0 might happen or even get somone to say with some confidence it
will not happen for at least another X number of years.

Thanks for your patience, I hope this discussion is at least a little
prodcutive and that the release team will think about 3.0 too.

--
Alan H.