Re: gnome-control-center has been branched for 2.14

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 15:07 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 4/12/06, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:
> > g-c-c has been branched, so there's now a gnome-2-14 branch for further
> > 2.14 fixes.
> >
> > No specific plans for HEAD/2.15 yet, apart from, right now, committing
> > some patches in bugzilla that were waiting for the branch.
> > Suggestions/ideas on what should be fixed/improved are appreciated
>
> Well, if you're going to put it like that... ;-)  How about nuking
> some unneeded preference capplets cluttering the menus -- Windows,
> CDDB, Menus & Toolbars, and Multimedia System Selector.  See also
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-July/msg00155.html,
> where Alex originally suggested this.

Let's evaluate things and fix real problems rather than just straight
out nuking capplets because some people never open them. The gstreamer
properties and sound properties, should be integrated together probably,
rather than just getting rid of the bit where you actually select your
default input and output devices for audio and video.

And the Windows and Menus/Toolbars capplets should probably be
integrated in with some of the other dislpay capplets, into a single
Display Properties and/or Appearance capplet.

The CDDB capplet is actually part of the gnome-media package I believe,
so it should be nuked along with gnome-cd, or merged into gnome-cd
itself, I think. The GStreamer capplet is also part of gnome-media.

If any particular capplet were to just be nuked from control-center, I
would prefer it to be the resolution capplet. Opening a dialog to switch
between resolutions seems rather crappy to me. It would be nice to have
that ability in a capplet that supports other features as well, but
having the only item in a capplet be the screen resolution, is a bit
off. And maybe we can integrate resapplet with it.

But all in all, I think we need to actually review our situation with
this, rather than just jumping in and removing things that someone may
not use or like.

-- dobey