Re: Solution for OEMs/Gnome

Daniel Carrera writes:
> Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > If you will start gconf-editor as a root, you are able to change all
> > these settings for all users. It's easy and intuitive to define here
> > most aspects of GNOME (well, except default panel, which is extremely
> > unintuitive here).
>
> But the things I want to define are not on the gconf-editor. I want to
> put an icon on the panel.

They are: /apps/panel/default_setup/applets and /apps/panel/applets.

> > Default panel is actually defined in
> > $sysconfdir/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries. I am not sure,
> > what is an intuitive way to change it.
>
> I'm dumb today, I don't understand this.

As I wrote before, this file is really hard to understand and there is
no GUI for it (at least jus now). But at least here in SuSE we were able
to change the default panel by editing
$sysconfdir/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries. You need to call
then:
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=`/opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-2 --get-default-source` --load panel-default-setup.entries

You can take a help from user account with properly reconfigured panel.

> How exactly would I change the
> default panel configuration? Are you suggesting that I edit a config
> file by hand or that I use gconf-editor? On gconf-editor, under schemas,
> I don't see any entry for 'panel'.

There are more different way to customize:

- Patch .schemas.in or .entries in sources before compilation.

- Edit .schemas or .entries in installed environment and use gconftool
after setup.

- Use gconf-editor as root and set values.

- Change GConf path and use custom .schemas or .entries and use
gconftool after setup.

- Change GConf path and use separate GConf database - you can use
gconf-editor as root and set values, values will not be overwritten by a
package update.

Change GConf path can define mandatory values - users cannot change it
and default values - users can change it.

But as I wrote before, for panel all these ways are very unintuitive.

> > Having a chance to configure important things for all users as a root
> > without touching home directories is a reasonable feature.
> How do I do that though? I don't want to login to X as root, and
> gconf-editor doesn't seem to give me any options for adding an icon to
> the panel.

gnomesu gconf-editor
(or xsu, sux, kdesu, su -x, su depending on your distribution).

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/