Re: Notification icons hell (was Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager)

Rodney Dawes wrote:
This is a configuration problem, not a user interface problem. Just
because you might want to do that, does not mean that all other users
will want to as well. In fact, if you want to say that, we can talk
about the majority of the Desktop market, and show how useful it is to
have them in the tray, because all of the IM clients are there in the
same area, so it makes it easy to use them all. And useful status
information is there too. You don't have to rove all around your desktop
looking for information, as it's all always in the same location.

But that's just me (and another 85% of the market).

I really, really don't care about the market. I'm not a carpet salesman.

About our current subject, I like my desktop being well organized. And as all my status monitors (I'm using a laptop, so I'm talking about network interfaces status and frequency monitor) sit on a part of my panel, I don't see any good reason why the battery monitor should be on a separate place, in the notification area, with no way for me to put it among the other ones.

And what happen is just the opposite of what you describe : that status icon is not in the right place, so I have to look around my desktop to find it. Worse, it's messed up with app icons (which I'm quite ok they stay in the notification area) and other real notification icons...