Re: Notification icons hell (was Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager)

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 08:37 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
>  + the gossip icon. It just sits there, while I have no message. It
>    should be an applet.

Making it an applet doesn't solve the problem. It's still the same icon
sitting on your panel, taking up space, doing absolutely nothing for
you. In fact, making it an applet would be a regression, as it would no
longer work under other desktops as well.

> There are some ways to fix this:
>
>  + HIG HIG HIG

The HIG is a set of guidelines, not a set of rules that must be abided
for an application to use the tray. Putting something here doesn't
really solve the problem outside the scope of the core GNOME apps. It
just gives the people who will whine about the problem, someplace to
point at, while they are whining.

>  + try to make the notification area smart and force some icons to hide.
>    This will be inherently broken.

We should make it smart and allow expansion, and hide inactive and low
priority icons, like on Windows.

-- dobey