Re: Proposal for inclusion in Desktop: pessulus

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 00:02 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 11:28 -0300, Fernando San Mart�Woerner wrote:
> > I am all for it too, we need this kind of tools in the desktop!
>
> Do we need this in the desktop? Is it going to help my Mum use her
> computer? Or should we instead have a collection of powerful sysadmin
> tools on hand. I can think of a number of applications that would be
> suitable here.
>
> Eg. the GNOME 'Administrator' set:
>  - Sabayon
>  - LAT - LDAP Administration Tool
>  - pessulus
>  - Some GNOME based administration tools for webservers/DNS/Squid etc.
>
> Lots of random GNOME based tools existed. Perhaps we could get some of
> the really good ones together.

I don't think "useful to my mum" should be our only criterion
for inclusion in the desktop.  Right now, our fastest path
onto desktop is corporate workstation deployments.  Any tool
that helps admins roll out two hundred Gnome desktops should
be greeted with enthusiasm.

Could we have a separate 'Administrator Tools' release set?
I suppose we could, but what would be the point?  We aren't
categorizing any of our other modules.

So maybe a lockdown editor isn't useful in a single home
user installation.  (Then again, maybe some of that could
be reused for parental controls.)  A lot of distros have
different install types.  Let them decide which install
types should have the lockdown editor.

--
Shaun