Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

First of all, the applet is not "simple".  Maybe it helps to consider
it as a complex indexing and launcher application which just happens to
have an "applet interface".

This is no way an excuse to make fat applications/applets/whatever.
What makes applets complex enough for such a memory usage ?

 Even if the applet is included with GNOME, nobody forces anybody to
use it.  Guess what? GNOME ships with a "Contact Lookup Applet".  It
consumes 14 MB of resident memory.  Yet, I *choose*[1] to not use it, so
I don't care if it ships with GNOME, I don't waste any memory because of
it.
So, you are using the excuse of an already "14MB" applet existing, opening the doors to somebody using the "22MB" excuse latter.

 Maybe replacing the run dialog with deskbar (at least by default) is
going a bit too far.  But, please, shipping one more optional applet is
not going to hurt anyone.
Yes it is going to hurt everybody. Especially at a time where all GNOME developers must focus on optimisation.

There is a difference between having applets somewhere and having the officialy inside the desktop environment.