Re: Keyboard usage on some Gnome windows not working

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 11:02 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:

> I had remembered where the keys were when I was in a
> rhythm, but not what they were.  For the vast majority of the emacs
> shortcuts, I had to go look them up and learn them again, but for this
> one and a few others, I relearned them merely by using them in this
> only-know-how-to-move-my-fingers when not really thinking about it.

This reminds me of what the maintainer of SLRN (Usenet newsreader)
called the same mechanism: "finger memory".

Inside SLRN, we marked string as translatable for l10n, and thus changed
the action keys bound to a single-key answer ("Create filter for user?
[Y]es, [N]o, [C]ancel", "Send article? [Y]es, [N]o, [C]ancel", etc.)
based on the translation ("Crea filtro per l'utente? [S]i, [N]o,
[A]nnulla", etc.); but, in order to keep the "finger memory", the
original action keys were retained (this led to interesting l10n
patterns, where you couldn't use an original action key for another
action, so you ended up making periphrases in some cases).

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi - <ebassi gmail com>