Re: Moving Applets (was: Fish in GNOME Panel)

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 19:08 +0100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Davyd Madeley">
> >
> > > clock		panel	applets		remove e-d-s dep in panel
> >
> > This would stop us from linking the clock in with the panel,
>
> 	No, it wouldn't have any effect on our ability to make it an shlib
> applet.
>
> 	(Not that I think its a good idea to move it to gnome-applets)
>
> > which would be
> > a good idea in this day and age (it was eons ago that we stopped doing that
> > for silly "but what if it crashes" reasons).
>
> 	I still think its a good idea in most cases not to have applets
> in-process in the panel. It probably makes sense to aggregate more

Ah c'mmon! For proven stable applets it DOES makes sense, and IMO it the
extra memory footprint of having the clock out-of-process is what does
not make sense.

> applets like we did with wncklet, though.
>
> Mark.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."