Moving Applets (was: Fish in GNOME Panel)

People have struck on a topic I started thinking about a little
while ago.

This thinking is highlighted on the wiki space
(http://live.gnome.org/GnomeApplets).

In short we would create a gnome-applets-extras. The purpose of this
package would be to include all the applets that have no home on
their own, but really don't need to be part of the standard desktop.
This will reduce the load on the maintainers/translators and
everyone else while not leaving older applets to die.

Here are a series of transitions I have thought about.

Applet		Current	Proposed	Notes
------		------	--------	-----
clock		panel	applets		remove e-d-s dep in panel
wanda		panel	applets-extras
stickynotes	applets	applets-extras
netstatus	--	applets		needn't be separate
user-switch	--	applets		useful feature
geyes		applets	applets-extras
gtik		applets	applets-extras
modemlights	applets	applets-extras

I would also like to separate the locations database out from
g-applets, since it is a huge portion of the tarball size and may
benefit from reuse in other places.

I am also interested in replacing mini-commander with Deskbar. The
problem here is that Deskbar is in Python and uses a binding from
gnome-python-extras. The other option is the pimping of
mini-commander.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA