Re: Moving Applets (was: Fish in GNOME Panel)

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 15:06 +1300, Glynn Foster wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 00:16 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:

> > In short we would create a gnome-applets-extras. The purpose of this
> > package would be to include all the applets that have no home on
> > their own, but really don't need to be part of the standard desktop.
> > This will reduce the load on the maintainers/translators and
> > everyone else while not leaving older applets to die.
>
> So, I'm against too much flux within packages, unless the code is really
> unmaintainable. In many cases, the basic functionality is 'done' - sure,
> it may need some more work, but did you ever think about adding
> 'gnome-love' keyword? Applets are really easy things to start off
> playing around with, since the code base [generally] is relatively
> small.

The applet's code base might be small, but badly suffers of bit-rotting;
and some applets are outside the gnome-applets "mantle", e.g. the
dicionary applet - which is under gnome-utils.

I'm giving gdict-applet some love - namely, I'm cleaning up the mess
that has accumulated during the years, and trying to separate the
widgetry from the dictionary handling; but I do suspect that the code
base of some of the oldest applets really needs more than some love
(even though it could be a start).

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--