Re: Removing xrdb for 10% startup win?

--- John Rice <John Rice Sun COM> wrote:

> Lorenzo - thanks for the pointer.
>
> Padraig Obriain had a look into using mcpp on Solaris, but in his
> digging he trussed xrdb and found that on Solaris 10 its not exec'ing
> the compiler to do the preprocessing. Someone appears to have already
> hacked up a more light weight preprocessor for just such an occasion
> [its located at /usr/bin/cpp, not /usr/sfw/bin/cpp]. So use of mcpp is
> not required on Solaris.

I'm not sure how "Someone appears to have already hacked up" enters the picture,
but Solaris has had a standalone, fairly lightweight preprocessor shipping for
ages. The "C" preprocessor is used by a bunch of languages besides "C" so when Sun
unbundled the rest of the compiler at some time in the depths of history one of the
result was a standalone preprocessor.

[if somebody knows the situtaion pre-unbundling, feel free to correct me]

> JR

Sander

.sigless