New way to change volume

Hi all,

This morning, I woke up, and had a great idea... Now, the volume control is used in a way the hardware works, you modify a PCM channel, to modify the output of all system sounds (movies, music, other things). I think it would be much userfriendlyer if it would work in the way the user works. I will give an example:

A user is watching a movie in totem, and rhythmbox is running in the background. Now, there isn't a difference in the volume control, it would be nice if it could contain "Totem" and "Rhythmbox" as channels. And if you turn the volume of the "Totem"-channel down, the volume control in totem will turn down. That way, all the volumes can be controlled from inside the volume control, instead of only the PCM what is a total of all sounds. The volume of rhythmbox would be the same, as it is a different channel.

Ofcourse, there has to be some "Hardware channels" also, for the MIC and LINE-IN. I'm not sure about CD, because that could be done by adjusting the volume of the "Sound Juicer" or your favourite audioplayer"-channel.

I suck at mockups, but I guess the explenation is pretty clear... Just split the PCM into different application-based channels, and name the other channels "Hardware channels".

If you comment, please add me to the CC list, since i'm not subscribed to desktop-devel-list. If desktop-devel-list isn't the best way to put this, please tell me where i should put this instead.

Thanks,

Michaël Arnauts