Re: Denoting Remote Machines (Re: Custom Icons for GNOME Terminal Profiles)

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 03:11 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 14:16 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > A feature like this might be interesting in Metacity. Same as
> > Nautilus says "documents on floyd" it would be cool if Metacity
> > could say "MGiva on charlie17". This would be particularly useful
> > when you're running the same application on multiple cluster heads.
>
> On an LTSP setup it'd look awful though... and for terminals it's kind
> of misleading (don't most people set the host they are ssh'd to in the
> titlebar via bash, not the host the terminal is running on...)

If you're X forwarding an entire session then it wouldn't make a lot of
sense. I would suggest that it would only be shown if the name of the
client is different to the name of the machine that Metacity is running
on (which is often the same machine as the Xserver, it may not be on
some LTSP and X-terminal setups).

The idea is not to tell someone where they are logged in to, but what
machine their remote X window is running on. So if you're running xterm
on charlie2 but logged into charlie17 you would see "XTerm:
davyd charlie17:~ (on charlie2)".

Perhaps this needn't be in the title, perhaps it could be placed into
the UI in some other discoverable way, or have an option to disable it
for people who find it simply too annoying.

Something to consider is how we find out the hostname of the X-client if
they're X-forwarding of ssh.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA