Re: Proposing gobby?

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:42:34AM +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 19:15 +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
>
> > > Collaborative editing is an application many people don't seem to have
> > > realised is possible with their computers; I think having it available
> > > such that two GNOME users can easily start a collaborative session
> > > together would be massively beneficial.
>
> I agree that this is a very cool and useful feature.
>
> > I agree, and I also thought about asking for integration. It's just
> > that Gnome already has GEdit as a general purpose editor. It's sad
> > that the plugin architecture just wasn't good enough for us when we
> > started the project. It seemed easier to actually reinvent the wheel.
>
> This suggests that the gedit plugin architecture today could be used to
> implement a collaborative editor on top of libobby, is that the case?
>
> > We release a new candidate, 0.3.0rc1, today and 0.3.0 will be ready
> > within the next weeks. There are some rumours that there are some
> > users even in the Free Software Foundation.
>
> Gobby is a very cool application, but I don't think it is a good
> candidate for Desktop. Not in its current state.
>
> The litmus test for inclusion should not be "this application is cool",
> but "is this application useful to everyone and does it integrate
> tightly".

I beleive that statement is wrong, many things in GNOME are not useful
to *everyone*, some kind of compromise needs to be made between "usefull
for 1 person" and "usefull for every person on the planet"

I think it should be more like "This application can be usefull to many
people and integrates tightly"

I do agree with the rest tho, and I certainly agree that a plugin to
gedit would be awesome, I also heard of some integration to
abiword/gnumeric/etc that would rock, esp from gnumeric as I'm doing
some things at work at the moment where having a collaborative
spreadsheet in gobby style would be saving me much pain :)

Trent