Re: Proposing gobby?

Hi there,

I am one of the Gobby authors, please copy me as I am not on the list.

On Nov 15, 2005, at 19:01, Chris Ball wrote:
I'm not the author of gobby[1], but I'd like to hear thoughts on whether
gobby should be proposed for inclusion in Gnome 2.14.  Gobby is a
collaborative text editor using GtkSourceView/GTK 2.6, with external
dependencies of libgmp, gtkmm and libxml++.  There are two libraries
that are maintained by the gobby authors used: libobby and libnet6.

I think the dependencies will become a major problem on this task. The two libraries which we developed are not used by any other application. We might remove the libxml++ dependency, though. Perhaps also libgmp if someone offers us a cryptography library.

Collaborative editing is an application many people don't seem to have
realised is possible with their computers; I think having it available
such that two GNOME users can easily start a collaborative session
together would be massively beneficial.

I agree, and I also thought about asking for integration. It's just that Gnome already has GEdit as a general purpose editor. It's sad that the plugin architecture just wasn't good enough for us when we started the project. It seemed easier to actually reinvent the wheel.

We release a new candidate, 0.3.0rc1, today and 0.3.0 will be ready within the next weeks. There are some rumours that there are some users even in the Free Software Foundation.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
0x539 dev group

P.S.: The URL for Gobby is http://gobby.0x539.de