Re: Building the admin suite (was Re: Should I propose sabayon?)

On 11/14/05, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Le lundi 14 novembre 2005 à 22:10 -0700, Elijah Newren a écrit :
> > On 11/14/05, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> > > <quote who="Elijah Newren">

> > > ... hold on - what's stopping us creating the admin suite? We can do that!
> >
> > laziness.  ;-)
> >
> > But, uh, by all means feel free to head up the effort to get the new
> > release set created!  Go go go!  :)
>
> So, let's do it if pessulus or sabayon (or both) is/are accepted.

We'd need to come up with a set of rules for the admin release set
too, along the lines of http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-10.html,
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/api_rules.html, or
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/bindings/rules.html (except that
I'm not fond of the discoverability of the first nor that it's kind of
out-of-date and incomplete, and the other two only touch on a subset
of the rules for the modules).

(I'm guessing the rules for the admin set are "nearly identical to the
desktop rules, the exception being that modules need to be admin
oriented for inclusion")

As an aside, I'd really love to have a maintainer-oriented version
(i.e. a succinct version) of the rules for each set that just quickly
list the requirements of each.  This would include stuff like which
freezes apply (API/ABI isn't applicable to desktop despite the common
misconception to the contrary, though recent efforts have tried to
change that a little for libraries in the desktop; also, it has
slightly different meaning for platform and bindings), dependency
issues (which bindings are allowed to be used, hard and soft
dependencies and consensus, etc), making releases even if only
translations or documentation has changed, making use of Gnome
resources, and various other details.  I think it would have reduced
some of the confusion people have had in the past.  I've been meaning
to write it up and have an incomplete initial draft somewhere...