Re: Making GNOME crash

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 15:17 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
Seg, 2005-11-07 �01:36 -0500, Matthias Clasen escreveu:
On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 17:39 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
What do you think?

I'm not convinced that making HEAD unusable for everybody by enforcing
this in gnome-session is the way forward. For one thing, it will
drastically reduce the amount of testing that HEAD gets. I think making
this the focus of a Gnome love day can have the same results without
affecting the testability of HEAD for everybody else.
 I completely agree.  This reminds me of some modules in the past
having hardcoded -Werror in CFLAGS.  Some people just want to compile
and run GNOME, not be forced into fixing every module in the way.

Actually GStreamer do this, include -Werror, and it is in my opinion
something which has worked out very well for us.
I think (correct me if i'm wrong, please) the point that Matthias and Gustavo make is that a lot of people won't take the time needed to test a GNOME desktop that crashes earlier, because they won't be able to fix the problems as quickly as they'd want. Maybe, in the long term, people would get unwilling to test HEAD because it would be impossible for them. This would be a great loss for mass testing of non-blocker bugs. This point of view makes sense to me.

Just my two cents.

--
Julien Gilli