Re: Integration of new types of volumes

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 15:36 +0300, Yaron Tausky wrote:
> Hi there,
> I've been hacking a bit with the SynCE[1] code -- especially the GNOME
> VFS integration -- and I thought I'd better ask here on the matter of
> further desktop integration. I want to reach the point where the device
> is presented on the desktop and the computer:/// URI in Nautilus upon
> mounting.
> Ideally, gnome-volume-manager should be a plugin-based daemon that will
> be able to take care of any kind of hardware, but since this isn't the
> current state of affairs, I'd like to hear your opinion on how to
> implement it (assuming that HAL announces the device).
>
> [1] http://synce.sourceforge.net/

My original idea about when i was doing the GnomeVFSVolumeMonitor stuff
was:

Add a new form of plugin to gnome-vfs that gets loaded into the
gnome-vfs daemon. These plugins run in the daemon and tries to detect
when a piece of hardware they support has been plugged in. It then
creates a GnomeVFSVolume object for the volume with a uri that points to
the new volume. This will automatically lead to it showing up in
computer: and all of that.

Now that we have HAL we could extend this with a built in plugin for
HAL-based devices where you could just drop a configuration file for the
device (describing the hal id -> uri mapping) in a directory and have
everything work.

There has been no work on this so far though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an immortal guitar-strumming cyborg on a search for his missing sister.
She's a disco-crazy hypochondriac Valkyrie with a birthmark shaped like
Liberty's torch. They fight crime!