Re: New external dependency: iso-codes ?

Στις 07/Μάρ/2005, ημέρα Δευτέρα και ώρα 21:54, ο/η Danilo Šegan έγραψε:
> Hi Simos,
>
> Today at 22:01, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>
> > It looks more canonical to me to make the dependancy to the Translation
> > Project.
>
> You got it a bit mixed up :)
>
> Translation Project (TP) is basically for other programs what GTP is
> for Gnome: a translation project.  You cannot "add a dependency" on
> GTP for any software module, because it's not software, it's a group
> of people and some infrastructure :)
>
> The discussion here was whether to make iso-codes build- and run-time
> dependencies of Gnome software.  That can be done several ways, and
> one is to make it a "soft" dependency (everything would work fine even
> if it's not there, except there might be no translations), or "hard"
> dependency (package won't install if a hard dependency is not
> installed).
>
> For example, xkeyboard-config translations are a soft dependency of
> Gnome keyboard preferences: you get untranslated layout names if
> xkb-config is not included.

Thanks for the clarification and the part on soft/hard dependencies.

The translators indeed send their work to the Translation Project, so
for the latest Greek version for the iso_639 translation domain, one
would have to look in
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/teams/PO/el/

However, it's simple to delegate the collection of the latest PO files
to the iso-codes maintainer and interact with him, rather than scanning
ourselves (as GTP) for any latest version.

The iso-codes maintainer is not the highest upstream, but's he is high
enough for the purposes of GNOME.

Simos