Re: ***SPAM*** ***SPAM*** Re: Default Theme Progress

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 18:45 -0800, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
>>>   Though Clearlooks is a very pleasant theme overall, I find that
>>> _inset_ menu bar definitely weird, and contrasts with just about any
>>> other theme out there.  It gives me a strange and uncomfortable feeling
>>> looking at that menu bar :|
>
>>it is a gtkrc option, so we could turn it off for the default theme.
>
>Honestly, that's one of the _best_ features of ClearLooks and it should
>*not* be removed. If you remove this, you just end up with "yet another good
>looking  theme". It's little usability details like this that makes the
>ClearLooks different and draw me into it in the first place.
>
>The inset menu bar, having a different color and border, makes it stand out
>from the main body of a window or the toolbar. On BeOS DR series the menu
>had bold fonts. Mac OS X has the menu on a different level than the rest of
>the app too. The menu has to stand out because otherwise feels like a bunch
>of characters in a row (like a status bar), rather than something clickable
>and usable. The fact that no other used that  in the Unix world so far
>should not be a limiting factor.
>
>Removing the insetting makes the theme look so flat and old and boring that
>it ain't even funny:
>http://www.osnews.com/img/9810/cl.png
>Please, don't remove the insettiness/color of the menu. Leave it as is.

  I did not mean to take the inset, I meant to turn it into an outset.
Inset is different and may look fun to you, but 85% of themes out there
have an _outset_ menu bar, so that's what users are used to.  How would
you feel if all of the sudden gtk buttons became inset?  Weird, right?
I get the same feeling here...

  But I agree that probably making menu bar items bold would probably
look good...  colour is nice too..

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.