Re: Control center and capplet merging

On 27 Jun 2005, at 10:07, Luca Ferretti wrote:

I did have no time to add comment on wiki page or open relevant bugs,
but IMHO merging Theme and Fonts capplets is not a so good idea.

One advantage it would have would be for accessibility... it's pretty common to want to change both together if you need a High Contrast Large Print theme, for example. (And personally, the first thing I do when I install a Linux machine is to change both the font and the theme, and then I pretty much never touch either of them again, so I've always wanted them in the same dialog anyway...)

We argued this to death a few years ago, and the current loose coupling between the two capplets was the compromise. But IMHO it's never really worked very well, because (for example) you can't easily revert any font changes you made using the 'Apply Font' button in the Theme dialog, partly because there's no Revert button, and partly because if you work out that you have to open the Font dialog to do it, you've no way of knowing what your previous font setting was.

I see that a separate Accessibility capplet is proposed as well, though, so perhaps this wouldn't be an issue any more anyway, depending on its precise contents. (Although I'm not sure if capplets that affect values in other capplets are such a great idea either, but that's probably a separate argument...)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team