Re: Control center and capplet merging

Il giorno dom, 26/06/2005 alle 00.37 +0200, Diego Gonzalez ha scritto:
> hi
>
> I have read the wiki page ( http://live.gnome.org/PreferencesRevisited )
> on the rework of the desktop preferences dialogs. I'm going to have some
> free time this summer and if there is the intention of doing it I could
> work doing the merge. This evening I spent some time merging the font
> and theme capplets into a single one.

I did have no time to add comment on wiki page or open relevant bugs,
but IMHO merging Theme and Fonts capplets is not a so good idea.

I prefer much more a merge between Theme and Toolbar capplets in a
single Appearance capplet, plus a restyle of Font capplet.

Glade mochups are attached. Those are just a proof of concept, but
please note:
      * Appearance - Some options in "Interface Details" tab of this
        capplet need a gconf key to the relevant gtkrc setting
      * Appearance - An "Install Theme" button is missing in the UI.
        Maybe it could be needed and added near the "Close" button.
      * Appearance - There are no "Save Theme" button: an alert asking
        for save a custom theme could appear when you select a custom
        theme, then close the capplet
      * Appearance - add a tooltip to the list view to suggest that you
        can use d'n'd to install themes.
      * Fonts - don't open a sub-dialog to adjust rendering, but use
        tabs
      * Fonts - two levels of font choosing: basic (applications and
        mosnospace) and detailed (window border, desktop,
        documents->yelp): please note the checkboxs for detailed in both
        mochups (one-for-each or one-for-all)
      * Fonts - The "Details" section in "Font rendering" tab should
        disabled (grayed) when the Appearance ComboBox value is not set
        to Custom. User can see the settings for presets, but to change
        details will have to choose the option custom
      * Fonts - The "Preview" section in "Font rendering" tab should
        provide a zoomed view of a sample text (something like xmag) so
        users can view all differences between available modes. Maybe
        this could need a custom widget :-(
      * Font and Appearance: are just a different view of current tools,
        based on current features, but adjusted with my personal feeling
        and HIG specs. A lot of strings needs a better solution.

Feel free to use them as base for hacking, proposal, bug reports, and
feel free to ask more comment about. Maybe I'll not reply quickly, but
I'll do :-)

PS please note that currently there are some useful functions in
gnome-control-center/capplets/common/ directory to "link" GTK+ widgets
to GConf keys as well as other "wrappers": maybe it could be interesting
and useful port those stuff to a more recent GTK+ version: in example
the new GtkComboBox family is not supported and capplets still use the
old one (see i.e. the Applications capplet) :-(