Re: ANNOUNCE: Deskbar Applet 0.3 (keybindings)

Alex Graveley wrote:

> Well, we can enforce no conflicts without going through a third party,
> right?  The UI enforces no conflicts, and the library checks that a
> keybinding is not already taken at bind time (allowing the app to
> prompt the user if it is).
>
> It isn't as though a third party gives any better form of conflict
> avoidance... apps can still bind using X manually, which is what is
> done today.

The reason for handling the global key bindings centrally is to work
correctly in the presence of multiple keyboard groups.

If there are multiple keyboard groups (e.g. Roman alphabet and Arabic
character set), by default you want keyboard shortcuts to work in all
keyboard groups by default (unless a particular shortcut is explicitly
bound differently for each keyboard group).

This kind of thing can't easily be done without knowledge of the other
global key bindings in effect.  It isn't a simple matter of calling
XGrabKey() and seeing what the result is.

James.