Icons problem with GNOME 2.10 (Fedora Core 4)

[gnome-list gnome org no longer exists, and I am at a lost which
 mailing list should be used for such requests. Since I am subscribed to
 this one, I'll send my question here]

Hi,
I updated today from a fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 4 system (through apt-get dist-upgrade). When I start my new GNOME, there are no icons displays in nautilus, except for the default grey folder icon. Similarly, menus do not contain any icon. gthumb is not able to display PNG or JPG images, and gimp display a message that "PNG" type is not supported.

I have checked, and libpng is installed on my system

lyon# apt-cache show libpng
Package: libpng
Section: System Environment/Libraries
Installed Size: 404154
Maintainer: Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Version: 2:1.2.8-2

Any one has ideas of things I should try ? I haven't found anything in the archives so far, but a pointer to a "README" is certainly good enough.

Thanks in advance

Emmanuel