Re: eggcups (and libgnomecups) for 2.12

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 16:06 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 15:36 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > Le mercredi 20 juillet 2005 à 14:56 +0200, Murray Cumming a écrit :
> >
> > > So this is what gives me the printer icon in the notification tray in
> > > fedora? Ubuntu has something similar? That's gnome-cups-icon, right?
> > > What's the story/comparison there?
> >
> > Right, Ubuntu uses gnome-cups-manager which has gnome-cups-icon to do
> > this. gnome-cups-manager also has an UI which make possible to configure
> > whatever printer you want, eggcups has not such feature (it autodetects
> > USB printers but if you have a smb
>
> Do you mean a networked printer? Is eggcups useless with networked
> printers?

eggcups is focused around networked printers that speak IPP (I don't
think you can buy a printer made in the last several years that
doesn't).  It will of course monitor jobs on local printers too.

> Is it conceivable and desired that eggcups would gain this feature, and
> therefore make gnome-cups-manager obsolete?

Part of the design of eggcups was to go along with Fedora's "stateless"
work.  In this particular case, the idea is individual people should not
have to configure printer drivers, because that's state that is really
per-machine (i.e. stored in /etc/ or something).  The goal of the
stateless initiative is that you can just pick up a new laptop and go,
you shouldn't have to reconfigure your hardware.

gnome-cups-manager's support for manually adding SMB printers is
certainly valuable in many situations.  Personally though I feel this is
more on the order of a "system tool" like thing in its current form
since it (AFAICS) requires root.  That puts it in a very separate use
case from eggcups; eggcups is designed for users without the root
password.