Re: switching to g-c-c shell? [Was: Re: Control center and capplet merging]

<quote who="Bastien Nocera">

> > If XVideo exists but doesn't work - I must admit, I'm musing based on
> > past b0rkages. Maybe it's not an issue these days. But somehow, I doubt
> > it. ;-)
>
> Broken hardware, or broken drivers. Certainly, we shouldn't be basing our
> designs working around broken drivers, especially as they're not so
> common, and would require knowledge from the user anyway.

Sorry for dragging this out. I agree that we shouldn't design for breakage,
but it's important to provide user-tweakable fallback if it helps. Even if
it's a backwater dialogue to do so, it's better than sending users to scary
GConf to fix things.

For example, we get fewer bug reports about "I can't hear my CD audio" now
that we've switched from analogue playback to digital extraction - however
there *are* some users for whom this is a bad solution, particularly those
with slow computers. Putting a switch in the GUI somewhere is worthwhile; in
fact, it wouldn't be ridiculous to have this as a user-tweakable HAL setting
that could be found in, say, hal-device-manager. Just a thought.

- Jeff

--
OSCON 2005: August 1st-5th         http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/

    "Not only that, but Google is fast. In fact, it's quite competitive
                          with DNS." - Raph Levien