Re: xsltwin32config.h and jhbuild

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 04:24:38PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> > > Why can't the necessary file be generated by Windows users?
> >
> >   because configure doesn't run for people using standard Windows tools.
>
> Daniel,
>
> can you be a bit more specific ? What exactly does not allow people to
> run configure under Windows ? Lots of projects build fine under windows
> using the standard autotools set.

  The serious libxml2 contributors on Windows don't run cygwin or migwin.
Most of the recent contributed features to libxml2 have been done by
those people.
They don't care about cygwin compiled code, as they don't run it. And
experience shows that on windows mixing code from different compilers
just don't work (heck even switching to a different flag for one module
usually lead to errors or crashes at runtime).

> >   people building from cvs like me just ignore that conflict, build and it
> > just works.
>
> I would be surprised if that were true.  You have to *remove* the file.
> If you leave it in a conflict it doesn't compile.  To be honest, it has

  Then you never tried ! xmlwin32config.h and xsltwin32config.h are
not included by build driven by configure, they will just get overwritten
and the conflict with it (as conflict detection is made by searching for
the conflict delimiters in CVS). I don't see how you could get to such a
state.

  I said I would fix this. I don't see why you're jumping on this a few days
later, maybe my post didn't make it to d-d-l (I'm not subscribed, I can't
stand the flames anymore). So please put back you gun in your holster, I'm
not a target, what I did was motivated, should not have broken people's
build and I will fix the jhbuild side effect anyway.

Daniel