Re: libnotify in gnome-applets

On 7/4/05, Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au> wrote:
> With my maintainer hat on, I'll throw my thoughts into the ring.
>
> Quoting Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>:
>
> > * not sure about the trash applet, since it already changes its icon and
> > tooltip when something changes in the applet.
>
> No. I didn't much care for this one, it seemed a bit strange.
>
> > * I'm going to add support for hints in the notifications, so that the
> > notification itself shows up next to the applet sending it.
>
> ChipX86 had said that he would be adding something like this soon. It
> would be a
> nice feature.

Support is in, though needs lots of tweeking. The little arrow is
fixed in one spot, which makes things look very wrong when the icon is
on the left, right, or bottom of the screen. I plan to make that all
work a bit better today.

Oh, and the battstat applet needs updating for the latest libnotify
change (simply one new parameter in the notify_send_notification
call).

> I like the weather one, I think it's cute. There does seem to be an excessive
> amount of negative reaction to this feature though. We seem to lack cool
> features like this, so I would like to see it in. Make it an optional feature
> (like battery notifications). Not sure whether it should be exposed in the UI
> or not. It's still cool, even as a hidden easter egg.

I think it's cute too. I think it should be optional though, and it
needs to be a bit smarter about not displaying a new notification when
the old weather info matches the new one. Of course, the patch is
still very new.

> Is there a patch in bugzilla?
>
> Some other things that I think could benefit from libnotify love (not all
> applets):
> * gossip - I did vaguely have this working
> * muine - It'd help me learn the names of songs I like on albums I
>            didn't know I owned
> * whatever replaces gtik (nominally called gnome-stocks-applet,
>    not yet written, have no vested interest in share market)
> * nm-applet - network notification
> * something to tell you you're running low on disk space (perhaps in
>    gnome-session)
> * The evolution new-mail plugin - which also shouldn't have an option about
>    D-BUS messages, it should just send them. If no one cares, then no one will
>    listen.

I like these ideas.

Work is being done on gaim plugins. I like the package manager one
that was mentioned. I also wouldn't mind somehow tying this into a
build system to let me know when a long compile is finished ;)