Re: libnotify in gnome-applets

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 13:48 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Hi
>
> Since there is a huge list of people in the gnome-applets' MAINTAINERS
> file, sending the patch here.
>
> This adds libnotify to some applets to display nice notifications when
> something changes. Some stuff though:
>
> * not sure about the trash applet, since it already changes its icon and
> tooltip when something changes in the applet.
>
> * someone mentioned on IRC the idea of replacing the trash applet thing
> with a generic 'watch this folder' feature in nautilus, which will
> display a notification whenever there is a change in that folder. I
> can't think myself though how this can be useful, so, would this be a
> good idea?
>
> * I'm going to add support for hints in the notifications, so that the
> notification itself shows up next to the applet sending it.
>
> For screenshots -> http://blogs.gnome.org/view/rodrigo/2005/07/04/0
>
> So, can this be committed?

  As thouroughly pointed out by users' comments in your blog, while
notification is generally cool feature, your two examples -- trash and
weather -- are poor examples for using libnotify.

  Better uses would be displaying "new mail arrived" by the email
client, song change notifications in a music player, new instant
messages arriving for you, laptop battery running low, new packages
available by package manager, network connection lost, etc. etc.  In the
GNOME panel, perhaps notifying when new application launchers become
available, and where, might be interesting.

  Best regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.